Icom 7300 Question

  • Author
    Posts
  • March 5, 2023 at 5:30 PM #13611

    What is your opinion of the ICOM 7300? Looking at this one as my first REAL radio. Looks like it should last quite awhile.

    ALSO: When you buy a new ham radio do you usually buy extended warrantee?

    thanks.
    Bradley
    KC6EOA

    March 5, 2023 at 9:00 PM #13612

    I really like mine, especially the Spectrum Scope feature, but also the frequency accuracy and stability vs. rigs from 40 years ago. It’s a very capable radio. My only disappointment is that the DSP doesn’t have sufficient magic to eliminate serious background noise.

    As far as extended warranties go, I self-insure if I can afford it. I’ve had my unit for six years at the end of this month and have had no problems with it and no need for servicing. Paid $1350 plus tax. They’re now about $1100 before tax.

    – Fred AE6SF

    March 5, 2023 at 10:17 PM #13613

    Thanks Fred, that is helpful. I like the price and all that I have been reading about the unit…

    Bradley KC6EA

    March 6, 2023 at 12:48 AM #13614

    I have had mine about as long as Fred. Zero problems other than user errors. My only dislike is the noisy fan. I like the improvements they made with the firmware update. I have the Icom 9700 sitting on top of it, they make a great pair.

    I generally don’t go in for extended warranties. I have only had one “new” radio go south, and that was after the warranty period, but Kenwood stepped up and covered the issue anyway for free.

    March 6, 2023 at 3:43 PM #13615

    Thank you Charles. Good to hear. I will watch for updates too. I purchased one today and I am sure it will be a lot of fun.

    Bradley KC6EOA

    May 24, 2023 at 10:35 AM #13666

    I have had my 7300 for about 4 years now. No issues with it at all. Use it primarily for CW but do participate on the 10 meter SSB net on Tuesdays and get great adios reports using default settings. I don’t have a lot of money to insure it so I just take my chances. If however you want to do CW I Would recommend looking at the FTDX 10 it has a lot going for it.

  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.