Reply To: Mobile Radio for truck

October 2, 2020 at 12:27 PM #12223

Gene,
I currently use that Kenwood radio for most of my 2 meter contacts, mostly the local nets, as well as just starting to use it for packet radio communications. I have found it to be a great radio. Relatively simple to program with out using a program. One oddity is the need to assign a hot key to use the mic keypad to enter a frequency. I have used mobile radios from all 3 Big name makers and have liked them all. I especially like the readability of the Kenwood screen.
I would suggest getting a external speaker to plug in the back of the radio, especially if you are planning to mount the radio body under/behind the seat. I am currently using a small Uniden speaker that does well in directing the volume more directly.
Hope the late reply is helpful.
Scott
KJ6QIQ