This is a list of smartphone apps available for amateur radio. At the moment, this list only includes iOS apps, as the majority of club members with smartphones have iPhones. If you know of any other apps, iOS or other, that should be added, email the Webmaster. Apps that are used by the Webmaster are identified by an *.
- Ham Log – $0.99: Fully-featured logging program with many useful utilities. Designed for iPhone and iPad.*
- EchoLink – Free, requires free registration: Access the EchoLink network right from your smartphone. Allows you to connect and talk to other users, links, and repeaters from anywhere in the world, without a radio.*
- Emergency Radio – Free, pay to remove ads: Listen to police radios and amateur radio repeaters across the country. Other scanner apps are also available at different price points.*
- WINSystemInfo – Free: Repeater locator for IRLP WIN (Western Intertie Network) System links. Can use GPS to locate closest link.
- HF Beacons – $0.99: Map and frequency chart of IARU HF beacons.
- iSDR – Free: Interfaces with homebrew SDR radios to allow you to control the radio.
- OpenAPRS – $3.99: Best iOS APRS client. Supports the OpenAPRS.net network, APRS-IS beaconing and messaging. Other APRS clients are also available at other price points.
- Morse-It – $0.99: Morse code reference, translator, and trainer. Other Morse apps are also available.*
- PSKer – $2.99: Send and receive PSK-31 from your iPhone or iPad.
- Satellite Tracker – Free, Plus version ($1.99) has even more features: Uses GPS to track satellites and generate pass predictions, even when offline.*
- SOTA Goat – $4.99: SOTA summit database and spotting network.
- SSTV – $2.99: Excellent app for decoding SSTV images (I used it to receive an image from ARISSat-1 in 2011 -KI6ZON).*
- Antenna Array Analyzer – Free: Antenna analysis and simulation.
- Electrical Toolkit – Free: Many common electrical calculations and references.
- Electronic Assistant – $0.99: Resistor colors, capacitance, LED voltages, wire diameters, and more.
- Engineering Calc – Free: Engineering calculator supporting capacitance, Ohm’s law, Smith Charts, and more.
- Ham I Am – Free: Handy reference for Morse code, Q signals, jargon, and more.*
- Maidenhead Converter – Free: Uses GPS to determine current grid square.*
- Part 97 Map – Free: Includes maps and regulations for special areas outlined in Part 97, such as Cheyenne Mountain, NRQZ, and others.
- QST – Free, requires $40/year membership: View ARRL’s QST magazine.
- Ham Tool VX-3R – $1.99: Pocket reference for the Yaesu VX-3R. Provides essential info from the manual, such as programming instructions, in one convenient place.
- Ham Tool VX-7R – $1.99: Pocket reference for the Yaesu VX-7R. Provides essential info from the manual, such as programming instructions, in one convenient place.
- VX-8 Guide – $1.99: Pocket reference for the Yaesu VX-8. Provides essential info from the manual, such as programming instructions, in one convenient place.*
- FT-817 Guide – $2.99: Pocket reference for the Yaesu FT-817. Provides essential info from the manual in one convenient place.
- Ham Tool FT-857 – $1.99: Pocket reference for the Yaesu FT-857. Provides essential info from the manual in one convenient place.
- K3 Micro Manual – $0.99: Pocket reference for the Elecraft K3. Provides essential info from the manual in one convenient place.
- K3/KX3 Programmer’s Guide – $0.99: Programmer’s reference for the Elecraft K3 and KX3.
- P3 Micro Manual – $0.99: Pocket reference for the Elecraft P3. Provides essential info from the manual in one convenient place.
- 3D Sun – Free: View current images of the sun and read about solar flares and geomagnetic storms.*
- NASA App – Free: Information on current missions, solar conditions, live NASA TV stream, and more.*
- NOAA Now – Free: Track current severe weather situations and view NOAA weather satellite images.
- NOAA Radio Free – Free, pay to remove ads: Listen to NOAA weather radio streams from around the country.
- The Weather Channel – Free: View Doppler radar and 10-day forecasts for most of the world.*