Summits on the Air- Fun

Home Forums Activities Summits on the Air- Fun

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  W6STR 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

w1ej
    Participant

Continuing my quest to reach 100 Activator points and 500 chaser points by the end of this year.
    My latest venture took me to the Burney CA area this week. My plan was to activate three summits, Soldier Mountain, Burney Mountain, and Lassen Peak. Soldier Mountain was late afternoon before I reached the summit but 20 Meters was still open for most of my contacts. This mountain provides a gorgeous view of the Fall River Valley to the East, almost like looking at Google Earth, not to mention Shasta to the North and Lassen to the Southwest.
    The next morning I went to Burney Mountain. The road up the last few miles is not for the faint hearted, luckily I met no one coming the other way. The wind at the top was roaring so I started with my MFJ 20 meter loaded whip. After about six contacts on 20 CW I wanted to try other bands so I put up my 20 ft. Pole with 39 feet of wire. Worked more on 20 and several on 40 but the wind was bending the pole way over. The fire tower is staffed so there is access to a pit toilet! I then proceeded to Lassen Park looking for a camp site but after a weather check (High winds, cold, showers) I decided to forgo Lassen until next summer. If you like the outdoors SOTA is great fun. Any one want to join me on the next outing?

W6STR
    Participant

Ed, Congratulations on 100+ points Activating SOTA Summits. That is quite an achievement! You are well on your way to becoming a SOTA Goat!

Mike W6STR

w1ej
    Participant

Thanks Mike. The last two summits that got me over the 100 were a bit of a challenge. North Yolla Bolly and Black Rock Mountain are in the Shasta Trinity National Forest about sixty miles West of Red Bluff. I decided to do both in one day since they are only about four miles apart. I camped at the trail head and got an early start. The hike up to Pettijohn Basin that separates the two is along a nice but sometimes steep trail. I did North Yolla Bolly in the morning and then on to Black Rock. The trail gets a bit indistinct and finally quite steep the last half mile. Glad I had the Garmin! A lot of work for one day but the views from the summits were fabulous and HF propagation even better. Next year I plan to back pack and camp in the basin between them. By the way I see you at #10 on the W6 Chasers. Wow!

W6STR
    Participant

Ed. I am interested in activating Sonoma Mountain and I see you’ve done it already. Could you email me about trails to the top? My email is

mike julliet delta880 @ alfa alfa tango.net

just the first letter of the phonetics.

Thanks,
    Mike W6STR

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.