Mobile Radio for truck

Home Forums Technical Questions and Answers Mobile Radio for truck

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Bastian
    Participant

KN6DJS here (Technician License)

I am looking at getting a mobile radio for my truck. The radio I’m looking at is:

Kenwood Original TM-V71A 144/440 MHz Dual-Band Amateur Mobile Transceiver, 50 Watts, 1000 Memory, EchoLink Sysop-Mode Operation, True Dual Receive. I thinking that it will give growth and is still usable now.

Is this a good entry level radio or too much. And if it is too much what would be your recommendation?

Can you also recommend an antenna.

Thanks
    Gene Bastian
    KN6DJS

kj6qiq
    Participant

Gene,
    I currently use that Kenwood radio for most of my 2 meter contacts, mostly the local nets, as well as just starting to use it for packet radio communications. I have found it to be a great radio. Relatively simple to program with out using a program. One oddity is the need to assign a hot key to use the mic keypad to enter a frequency. I have used mobile radios from all 3 Big name makers and have liked them all. I especially like the readability of the Kenwood screen.
    I would suggest getting a external speaker to plug in the back of the radio, especially if you are planning to mount the radio body under/behind the seat. I am currently using a small Uniden speaker that does well in directing the volume more directly.
    Hope the late reply is helpful.
    Scott
    KJ6QIQ

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.