Upcoming Exam Sessions 2020:
- Saturday, April 25, 9:00 am to noon, Bennett Valley Hall –CANCELLED
- Saturday, May 23, 9:00 am to noon, Bennett Valley Hall – No walk-ins; please call ahead
- Saturday, July 18, 9:00 am to noon, Bennett Valley Hall
- Saturday, September 26, 9:00 am to noon, Bennett Valley Hall
- Saturday, November 14, 9:00 am to noon, Bennett Valley Hall
If you’ve been studying for a new license or upgrade, your next opportunity to take your test is coming up on Saturday, May 23 at 9am. The location is Bennett Valley Guild Hall, 4145 Grange Rd, in Santa Rosa.
Please Note that due to shelter-in-place requirements and bans on gatherings due to COVID-19, it is possible that the May 23rd session will be cancelled. Therefore, please e-mail me, Brian Torr, at email@example.com if you want to attend this session. If there is a last-minute cancellation or change of venue, I will contact you via e-mail.
Directions to Bennett Valley Guild Hall:
From Hwy 101, take the Hwy 12 exit east. At Farmer’s Lane, turn right and go two blocks to Bennett Valley Rd. Turn left onto Bennett Valley for 1.8 miles, where Bennett Valley Rd. meets Yulupa Ave. Turn right to stay on Bennett Valley Rd. Continue on Bennett Valley Rd for approximately 2.25 miles to Grange Rd. Turn right onto Grange Rd. Bennett Valley Guild Hall will be approximately 0.5 miles from from Bennett Valley Rd on the right.
Walk-ins will not be accepted at the May 23 sessions. We hope to allow walk-ins at later sessions. All test elements will be administered.
Time: The exam session will start at 9am. Please arrive by 8:45am to be signed in. Testing will begin shortly thereafter.
Candidates should bring the following:
- One (1) photo ID or two (2) non-photo ID
- Social Security Number (if not currently licensed) or FCC Registration Number (FRN, if licensed)
- Original and photocopy of your current amateur radio license (if licensed)
- Original and photocopy of any valid CSCEs (if applicable)
- Original and photocopy of any documents submitted for exam credit (see Exam Element Credit below)
- #2 Pencil and eraser
- $15.00 exam fee. Checks may be made payable to “ARRL-VEC”
Calculators may be used, but it must be demonstrated that all memories and programs have been erased. The calculator function in a cell phone or PDA may not be used! If you have any special needs, please contact Brian Torr, N6IIY in advance.
Exam Element Credit for Expired Licenses
The FCC now offers partial credit for expired General, Advanced or Extra Amateur Radio licenses. A license that has expired and gone beyond the two year grace period will be canceled in the FCC system. The licensee will not automatically qualify for a new license. At a minimum, previous license holders must take the current 35-question Technician exam at a VE exam session to return to Amateur Radio.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide documents to obtain this credit. For information on where to obtain such documents, refer to the following URL (expand the link to “Valid Forms of Exam Element Credit for Expired Licenses”)
Please have these documents before appearing at an amateur radio exam session.
Brian Torr, N6IIY