Fish Rock Bicycle Adventure Race
Event Chair: Fred Seitel AE6SF
DETAILS:img class="alignnone size-medium wp-image-11254" src="http://sonomacountyradioamateurs.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/5877cdea5045df374bd96c8f_2017-Fish-RockonBlue-300x111.jpg" alt="" width="300" height="111" /> This is a UHF event. Your 2-meter radio won't cut it.
March 9th is the Fish Rock bicycle event, SCRA's first public service event of 2019. Three hundred cyclists will depart Boonville, traverse to and down the coast, and return to Boonville. Find more info here: https://www.bikemonkey.net/fishrock .
This is an all-day event with riders starting from Boonville at 10:00 am and stragglers returning at 5:30 pm. Operators will close aid stations progressively and may depart for home when they do.
Travel times are long, ranging from 1.5 to 2.25 hours from Santa Rosa, depending on location, due to distance and winding roads:
- Santa Rosa to Boonville about 90 miles
- Santa Rosa to Pt. Arena via coast about 85 miles
- Event course (a loop) 72.4 miles
Weather (fog, rain, clouds) can impact UHF reception significantly ("Scotty, I need more power!") so bring a UHF mobile radio (or HT with UHF amp, say 40W) and a good antenna. During clear weather, most sites can get by with a UHF HT, but be prepared for changing weather. SAGs will need a mobile radio on the more radio-difficult portions of Fish Rock Road.
Note to SAGs: Portions of Fish Rock Road between Tenmile road and Aid Station 3 aren't paved, but sport well-graded dirt with minor-to-moderate washboards and a few potholes. Low-rider cars (under which you can't roll a beer can) need not apply. (The Aid Station 3 operator can approach from Highway 128 via all-paved roads.)
The SAG4 Shotgun position involves riding shotgun in a non-ham's SAG vehicle. Bring your mobile radio equipment and battery.
Where are these places, you ask? I recommend copying the following coordinates into www.google.com/maps to get turn-by-turn driving directions and a time estimate.
- Aid Station 1 Mountain View Road (38.9453,-123.5455) Go North to Boonville, turn left on Mountain View Road. Coordinates are approximate.
- Cemetery Hwy 1 & Mtn View Rd (38.9511,-123.6901) Go North on Hwy 1, turn right and right into cemetery at corner with Mountain View Rd.
- Aid Station 2 Iverson Rd at Timberwood Wy (38.8412,-123.5704) Go North on Hwy 1 to Gualala, turn right on Old Stage Coach Rd, continue on Iverson Rd. Site is at intersection with Timberwood Way.
- Aid Station 3 Ornbaun Valley (38.8877,-123.3712) Exact location TBD North on 128 past Yorkville, left on Fish Rock Road.
- Net Control / FINISH Anderson Valley Brewing Co. (39.0007,-123.3563) In Boonville. Boonville Ukiah Road (Hwy 253)
- START Anderson Valley Jr-Sr H.S. (39.0117,-123.3748) In Boonville. Mountain View Rd., respectively.
If you are new to public service and want a no-pressure way to try it out, sign up as a Shadow and we'll pair you up with an experienced ham.
Sign up below...
March 9, 2019
|Task/Item||Start Time||End Time||Available Spots|
|SAG1||9:30 AM||6:00 PM||#1: Sign up »|
|SAG2||9:30 AM||6:00 PM||#1: Sign up »|
|Aid Station 1 / SAG3||10:15 AM||6:00 PM||#1: KI6MSP|
|Cemetery||10:45 AM||1:15 PM||#1: Sign up »|
|Shadow for Cemetery||10:45 AM||1:15 PM||#1: Sign up »|
|Aid Station 2||11:15 AM||2:30 PM||#1: Sign up »|
|Shadow for AS2||11:15 AM||2:30 PM||#1: Sign up »|
|Aid Station 3||1:00 PM||4:45 PM||#1: Sign up »|
|Shadow for AS3||1:00 PM||4:45 PM||#1: Sign up »|
|Start||9:00 AM||10:15 AM||#1: Sign up »|
|Net Control||9:00 AM||6:00 PM||#1: Sign up »|
|#2: Sign up »|
|Shadow for NC||9:00 AM||6:00 PM||#1: Sign up »|
|SAG4 Shotgun||9:30 AM||6:00 PM||#1: Sign up »|