Come Join SCRA at Field Day 2018
Weekend of June 23 and June 24
Why Field Day????
Because it’s fun!!! Where else can you experience practically the full gamut of our wonderful hobby in just one weekend? You want to learn how to set up a station? Field Day’s go you covered. You want to learn how to set up antennas? Plenty of that happening at Field Day! Want to learn how to operate in an HF contest? Field Day’s just the ticket! Want to learn how to make a Satellite contact? We do that, too at Field Day! Want to socialize with other hams and see what they’re up to? Come on down to Field Day!
And, if you like camping, you are invited to camp out both Friday and Saturday nights!
Field Day Planning Meetings:
- Saturday, March 17, 10:00 am to 11:30am, Youth Community Park (Field Day Site)
- Saturday, April 21, 10:00 am to 11:30am, Youth Community Park
- Saturday, May 19, 10:00 am to 11:30am, Youth Community Park
TH-6 & Crank-Up Mast Training Session:
- Date: Saturday, June 10
- Time: 9:00 am to Noon
- Location: 6451 Sonoma Hwy, Santa Rosa, (QTH of Doug Payne, KF6LMB)
- If coming from west of Oakmont on Hwy 12 (Sonoma Hwy), go past 6451 and turn right onto Oakmont Drive. Go to the first intersection and make a u-turn. At the intersection with Hwy 12, turn left (west) onto Hwy 12. Look for the road on the right (north) for The Meadows Kennel, just over 1/4 mile from Oakmont Drive. Turn right onto that road. Doug’s QTH is the third driveway on the left.
Field Day Weekend, June 23 and June 24:
- Setup – Begins Friday, June 22, 5pm until dark
- Setup – Continues Saturday Morning, June 23, 7am until 11am
- Operating – Begins Saturday, June 23, 11am
- Educational Activity – Saturday, June 23, 2pm
- Dinner – Saturday, June 23, 5pm
- Operating Ends Sunday, June 24, 11am
- Tear Down Sunday, June 24, 11am until ~2pm
Where: Youth Community Park, 1725 Fulton Rd. Santa Rosa
(across the road from Piner High School)
- SSB (this station will run 24 hours)
- Digital (this station will likely only operate Saturday during daylight hours)
- CW (this station will run 24 hours)
- GOTA (Get On The Air) (this station will run close to 24 hours)
Bands: 80m, 40m, 20m, 15m 10m, 6m, 2m, 70cm, Satellite
Classification and Exchange: 3A San Francisco or 3A SF
- K6SON for SSB, CW, Digital, VHF/UHF/Satellite
- W6SON for GOTA
SCRA Field Day 2018
Our application is pending, but if all goes well, we will again be having Field Day at Youth Community Park, 1725 Fulton Rd, in Santa Rosa (across the street from Piner High School). As hams, it has been said that the world is our playground, so what better place to have Field Day than in a public park. Field Day is one of our best opportunities to demonstrate amateur radio to the public.
There will also be a special get together focused on practicing how to assemble our venerable TH-6 and erecting it on the crank-up tower.
Our classification is tentatively “3A”, meaning that we will have three HF transmitters. There will be one station each for SSB, CW, and Digital.
We will also have a Get-On-The-Air, or GOTA, station. I encourage all of our recently-licensed hams and even those old-timers that have not had an opportunity to get on the HF bands in the last year to give the GOTA station a try. It will be operating on SSB. We will need control operators (General or higher) to allow the unlicensed and under-licensed hams the ability to work HF. We get extra points if there is always a mentor at the GOTA station.
We will also have a VHF/UHF/Satellite station. We were not able to make a satellite contacts the last couple years, but this year we hope to change that.
We will also be having an Educational Activity. The time will be 2pm on Saturday, June 24. We are looking for ideas for this educational activity. If you have some ideas, please let me know.
We need your help!
As we have done in the past few years, we have defined many teams to help in the setup, operation, and teardown aspects of Field Day. Please look at the list below and let me know if you are interested in any of the positions.
- SSB Station Captain
- SSB Station Operator
- Digital Station Captain
- Digital Operator
- CW Station Captain
- CW Station Operator
- GOTA Station Captain
- GOTA Station Operator
- GOTA Station Control Operator
- VHF/UHF/Satellite Station Captain
- VHF/UHF/Satellite Operator
- Dinner – Team Leader Pat Coyle, KG6JSL
- Safety Officer
- Solar Power
- Crank-Up Mast Erection Team Leader
- TH-6 Assembly/ Disassembly Team Leader
- Tilt-Up Mast Erection Team Leader
- 40m Half-Square & 20m Loop Antenna Team Leader, Brian Torr, N6IIY
- Dipole Erection Team Leader
- Antenna Launcher Team Leader
- Educational Activity Team Leader
- Station Setup/Teardown Team Leader
- Tour Guides/Public Information Team Leader
Once we have all (or at least most) of our Station Captains and Team Leaders identified, you will be able to sign up as an operator or to help on one of the team via our on-line volunteer sign-up page.
For More Information:
Brian Torr, N6IIY
Field Day Chairman
Tel: (707) 575-5871